Endoscopy 101: The Flexible Endoscope Reprocessing Cycle
2-Part Interactive eLearning
1.5 CE Hours Approved by: CBRN, CBSPD & IAHCSMM Approved by BASC for 1 AEU & 1 IPCH Approved by ABCGN for 1.5 Contact Hour of GI Specific Content
What Will I Learn?
This 2-part interactive eLearning course starts with providing an overview and history of endoscopes, as well as a look at the specific types of endoscopes used in the GI department. Part two focuses on the importance of proper reprocessing of flexible endoscopes, and will discuss the nine-step process for the cleaning and disinfection of a flexible endoscope.
The objectives for this course are:
Part 1: Endoscopy 101
- Summarize the history of endoscope advancements
- Identify and detail the design of a common flexible endoscope
- Discuss the proper care and handling of the endoscopes used in common GI procedures
- Discuss the organizations and agencies that provide guidance for endoscope reprocessing and care
Part 2: The Flexible Endoscope Reprocessing Cycle
- Review the expected outcomes of reprocessing flexible endoscopes
- Describe the nine steps in the endoscope reprocessing cycle as defined by SGNA